Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Alaska never ceases to amaze me!

Tonight I saw something in the sky that was amazing. I have been told of lights that shoot straight up. I believe this is a type of Aurora, but I am not sure. I have been told that when it gets to a certain temperature, something happens where beams of light may be seen. I wish I was outside of city limits so I could have seen it better. I did have my camera this time, so you can see what I am talking about. If anyone out there knows what this is....I would love some more info.

(Edit: I asked around at school, and it turns out that these light pillars are just street lights reflecting off of ice crystals in the air...who knew that our industrialized lifestyle and mother nature herself could form a symbiotic relationship to create this inspiring nocturnal spectacle)


Photobucket

Photobucket

I hope people still read this blog so they can experience this phenomenon as well.

Have a great week!
~Mr. Lockwood

4 comments:

Laura said...

people still read this blog :) you're right - that is pretty amazing!!

Nancy said...

I am still reading. I have read every one. I think Alaska looks wonderful. I enjoy seeing it thru your eyes.

Jane said...

Your pictures are absolutely breathtaking! You seem to be having the experience of a lifetime up there. I hope things keep going well for you!

rowdy said...

I just started reading! I'm enjoying it very much and I laugh outloud, by myself, quite often. You're hilarious.

As long as I'm commenting, I would just like to make two suggestions.

1. You should check the box to make the comments pop out in a new window. I find that easier than hitting the back button and stuff, but maybe that's just me.

2. Well, maybe this is not necessary, but I was going to ask if you could change the color of the text. I read the whole blog all at once and my eyes are killing me now. Also, I see stripes. But if you only read one post at a time it's probably not a problem. Never mind.

Love ya Bobb!!! I mean Mr. Lockwood! :C)