Saturday, May 2, 2009

Goodbye Wedgewood Hello Dry-Cabin!

I am officially moved out of Wedgewood and into my cabin. I have spent the last two or three nights there. It is really cool! Last night, I sat on my porch with a very nice cigar and a diet root beer - just staring out at the trees and the setting sun. This was around 10 pm...yeah, the sun is still out at 10 pm up here. I do not have internet at my cabin yet, so this blog entry is being made from my office at school. I will hopefully have internet in the cabin sometime this month.

A very cute thing happened at school the other day that I want to share with you. I believe it was Tuesday morning when a small group of students came up to me before my first period class in a panic. "Mr. Lockwood, Mr. Lockwood!" they yelped. "They just caught a little vole in homeroom and they are going to feed it to the science teacher's snake...will you help us free it?"
    I told them that I had class and couldn't go at the moment, but after class, if the vole was not already snakefood, I would go up with them and see what I could do.
    After class, I accompanied two other students to the science room to check on the fate of poor little Taco (Taco is what the students named him.) We got there just in time. We arrived to find the vole still alive, resting in a cardboard box, awaiting the feed. I talked to the science teacher and he had no problems with us letting the little bugger go. I told the students to ask their 2nd period teachers is they could go to release the vole with me. They got permission and we went outside.
    While walking outside to set Taco free, the students joining me were giddy with excitement. Every couple of seconds one of them would squeak out, "He is SOOOO cute!" We found a nice place in some trees as far away from the school as we could get without leaving the property. I opened the box, we each pet Taco, said our goodbyes, and set him free.
    The rest of the day the two students had HUGE smiles of pride on their faces for a job well done and I had a huge smile on my face for giving the students a chance to save a life! It was a fantastic morning!

Well, I'm off. I have a little bit of grading to do, and other things around town that need to get done, then a Community Band concert this evening. I hope you all have an amazing weekend. I know I will (it has been about 80 degrees the last few days...and it feels GREAT!!)

Take care!
~Mr. Lockwood

1 comment:

rowdy said...

OH MY GOD!! That is cute. Munky and I were both "cuting" while we read it.