Sunday, May 17, 2009

Two Days Left of School!!!

Hello everyone!

Life in Alaska is still amazing...in fact, it is getting more amazing everyday! I just went out and bought a fishing license. I am going trout fishing in about an hour!!! It should be a good time. Yesterday, Randy Smith had our end of the year staff party. It was a great time. It was a beautiful, sunny day by the Chena River with great company and AMAZING food! I brought my guitar and entertained the children (actually, some of the other teachers were as equally into the punk rock version of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" as the kids were.) I don't know what it is, when I am in a large party setting, I tend to spend more time with the kids than the adults. I guess I have the same attention span as the youngsters so I fit in well. Once the party settles down a bit, I very much enjoy having adult conversations with my peers. We discussed literature, teaching strategies, travel stories, fine wine and beer...all of the things intelligent adults talk about and I absolutely loved it; but for the most part, I feel most at home playing with the kids.

The cabin:
I have been totally moved into my cabin for a little over two weeks now, and I still love it. Every now and then I find myself getting a little bored, but then I just go out for a walk or a jog, grab a toy and circuit bend, or just sit on my porch with a cigar and a book. I do not own a TV and I think I like that. I don't need to sit around and watch other people do stuff when I can go outside and experience the stuff myself. The only part that I do not like so far is doing dishes. Without running water, it is a pain in the butt. Not so much the washing, but the rinsing. I have not come up with a good system yet...but I am sure I will. I plan on having a friend come over and show me how she does dishes in her dry cabin. Dishes aside, the cabin rocks! The freedom of living in the woods rocks! I have been known to take a trip to the outhouse in just my boxers. It may be a 20 yard walk outside in 30 degree weather, but there is no one around so who cares. The overall freedom of Alaska is starting to set in. I am excited to go out this summer and "get lost." I plan on putting a tent in the back of the Kia and start driving. When I get sick of driving, I pull over, hike a bit until I find a good place to sleep, set up the tent and camp. Hopefully I will be by a good place to fish so I can catch my dinner...if not, I'll bring some food on my trips. Next summer I am sure I will be taking continuing education credits for my masters degree, but I told myself that this summer is going to be for me...a little treat to Bobb after my first year as a real teacher.

Two days left with students and I am done. After that, I have two workdays and I turn in my keys and have some fun!! This year has been wonderful. I have learned so much and have been blessed with great experience after great experience. My administrators have been so supportive these last nine months. I really love Randy Smith and am proud to call myself a Black Bear, our school mascot. It's funny that they picked a mythological creature to represent the school...but I guess it's ok. I do not think that Washington Wizards are real or the San Francisco Dragons (a Major League Lacrosse Team.)

Well, that's it for this post. As per Rowdy's request, I talked a little bit about my cabin. If there are any other specific things you want to know about Alaska, teaching, music, or me...please feel free to write a comment and ask or drop me an email. It can get a little lonely up here and the intro-web is my only connection to people back home...well that or a very expensive plane ticket ;-) Take care all!

Rock on
~Mr. Lockwood

5 comments:

rowdy said...

Man that sounds fun Bobb. I'm jealous. But not so jealous that I would do anything about it, because I love my family and life here, but I'm just sayin, that sounds like a really cool life experience you're having up there. So I'm jealous of that part, or something...

Anyway, we love ya Bobb. I hope we can come visit you someday. That would be really awesome. How long did it take you to drive up there? Kelsey has vacation time now...

Bobb said...

We made it to Fairbanks at about 3:00 in the afternoon on the fourth day of the trip, but we did a LOT of driving. I would plan on a five day drive if you do not want to push it.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first year of teaching! Can't wait to see you soon.

Jamie said...

I'm proud of you Bobb and a little jealous too. Now what Garrett would say about the dishes is: "find a woman to do them for you!" I still don't know why I do his dishes. I love you Bobb and can't wait to see you in July!!!

rowdy said...

Oh yeah, the dishes! Why don't you do like we did in the scouts. We had two buckets, one with soapy water one for rinsing. Of course, we had to change the rinse water half way through the dishes sometimes. I don't know, that's what we did anyway.