Sunday, May 24, 2009

SUMMER IS HERE!!!

...well, maybe not according to the calendar, but as far as I am concerned...it is summer. I have spent the last few days enjoying some of the most amazing weather I have ever experienced. It has been in the mid 70's and sunny all week! I enjoy sitting on my porch with a cigar, a root beer, and a good book. I finished Harpo Speaks (the autobiography of Harpo Marx) and that was amazing! After that, I whipped through Water For Elephants in a couple days and loved it!! Due to multiple recommendations, I just started Into the Wild. I am not as impressed and everyone said I would be, but I'll see how it end up.

I have also been keeping myself busy by going on jogs/working out at the gym, organizing my stuff in my cabin, and starting up my garden! I have about 6 green beans, 4 zucchini, 1 cherry tomato, and one rhubarb. I have killed everything I have tried to grow with the exception of a jade tree I had to leave behind when I moved, so we'll see how this works out. Oh yeah, I have another jade tree up here =)

I finally have a few pictures to post! First, here are two shots that I printed and hung up in my cabin:

My silly little sister got in the way of my Spider-Man photo shoot...but I guess I'll keep it.

Photobucket

I liked this shot a lot. This was one of those pictures that you think nothing will come out of it, but then the end product surprises you!
Photobucket


This morning, I woke up at 3:30 am to drive a co-teacher to the airport. I figured that Alaska would be extra beautiful at 4:00 am, so I grabbed my camera before I left...boy am I glad I did that!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The lighting was beautiful, there was a thin fog floating above the sunlit swamp, and there were two trumpeter swans swimming in a small, glassy pool. Mornings like this make you want to wake up every day at 3:30, just to see what this amazing planet looks like when everyone else is fast asleep. I shouldn't say EVERYONE:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I saw four moose within a one mile stretch of road. These are a couple pictures of my first bull moose I have seen. This bull was pretty young and it is still early in "Antler Growing" season, so he just has a couple of nubs sticking out the top of his head. I have been told some have seen a HUGE bull in the area, already sporting a very impressive rack...but he was not around this morning. Hopefully these photographs will prove to Stephen that male moose do exist...even if they are small. (proof of concept maybe?)

Ok, I should get going. I am going to be looking at cats to adopt! I find myself a little lonely at times and I think a little pal would help pass the time. I hope everyone out there in Bloggingland has a happy and safe holiday weekend.

Rock on
~Mr. Lockwood

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bobb, I'm so glad that you are rockn' it out in Alaska! I wish that we could come up and see you this summer, but I dont know if it is going to work out. I like the picture of "the hallway to the bathroom" and the rest of your cabin shots! Best of luck trying to work out the dishes situation. haha. Miss you! Cari

Garrett said...

Get 2 cats so they can play together when you are not home. They'll be happier.

Danika is so looking forward to when you come back.

Bobb said...

I was thinking about that...we'll see how it works out.