Thursday, August 14, 2008

Day Two of Teaching in Alaska

I left today MUCH more worried than yesterday. Aug 20th is getting closer and closer every second. It is not the material I am worried about, it is the 36,542,897 things that teachers do OUTSIDE of the classroom that worry me.

I know how to teach music, I just have no idea how to be a teacher.

It is all of the little things that worry me: how to create a syllabus, how to schedule a concert, how to use a budget,...etc. I am sure I will be fine once things get rolling. I am not the first person to ever get a teaching job with no experience and very little help...but the stress levels are a little hight right now. It's funny, Stephen left Anchorage this morning and sent me a text message saying, "About to leave Alaska...you now have 41 minutes to change your mind and we can start driving back LOL."...it's a good thing his plane didn't leave late this evening =) I am not seriously wanting to leave...but it's starting to get a little scary.

I know I'll be fine. Like I said, I am not the first person to ever start a teaching job...but to say it is not stressful would be a lie. Once the school year gets going and I find a system that works for me, I am positive things will go very smoothly....I don't mean to sound egotistical, but I am a smart guy who adapts well to change and I will be able to figure it out soon enough.

I was once told that the only job of a first year teacher is to NOT QUIT! I tell myself that daily. After a year or three of this I've been told it becomes second nature...I can wait.

Have a great night everyone! Thank you all for your positive comments and support! It is appreciated more than I will ever be able to express.

Rock on
~Bobb

2 comments:

Josh said...

Good luck Bobb. Tonight just sit down with a cold brew and a new friend and relax. New jobs in new places are scary. But once you get to know the people, the area and get into a rhythm (you can do that, you're a band teacher) you'll be fine. I did it 10 years ago, I'm only a little less better because of it.

Anonymous said...

Bobb...My first year as a HS band director, I thought I was going to die. I was so scared. So confused. Felt like I had absolutely no right being put in charge of 70 HS kids. But you know what? Even though I was scared out of my mind, the kids, the parents, fellow teachers were so helpful. You'll find your way. You have confidence in yourself and your teaching ability and that's all you need. You're going to be a fab teacher. The kids are going to LOVE you. Everyone goes through this. Trust me. My first year ended up being my best. I'm looking forward to reading more!