Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Few Pictures for the Birds:

Good evening everyone =) So, my new apartment is next to Creamer's Field...a place where a lot of birds go and hang out. When I first got into town, I saw these huge birds flying around and I had no idea what they were. I later found out that they were (and still are) Sandhill Cranes...here are a few pictures of them:

This is a Sandhill Crane:
Photobucket

I sat and watched these guys for about an hour tonight. Every now and then a large group of them would jump in the air. I didn't get a good shot of a "mass jump" but I get a pretty nice one of a fight...oh yeah, it seems they like to fight:
Photobucket

It is hard to tell how large the cranes really are until you see them fly. I can't believe that that much bird can fly with such ease
Photobucket

At Creamer's field, there were more birds than just cranes...there were many geese and probably some ptarmigan as well but I couldn't tell from the distance I was at (The willow ptarmigan is the Alaskan state bird) Here is a shot of a couple of geese that where happy to pose for a few pictures
Photobucket

Then I took a picture of a blue flower. I do not know flower names...so blue is all you get:
Photobucket
(edit: I have been told that this flower is a Delphinium in case you were wondering)

Like I said, Creamer's Field is only about half a mile from my new place, so next time I am bored on a weekend I think I'll walk down there (I drove this time.) As you could probably tell, I used the larger pictures again...I like them bigger. Let me know if one way is easier than the other to view on your computers.

Alright, tomorrow is my first full week of classes and I need to be well rested so I'm off to bed. If I do not post for a few days do not worry, I'll be back =)

Have a great week!!
~Mr Lockwood

No comments: