Thursday, August 28, 2008

Week two...Still breathing =)

I am almost finished with my first full week of teaching students...and I feel pretty darn good! I think I am starting to get the feel for things. Classroom management for a first year teacher is always tough, but I had some GREAT role models while student teaching, so I think I am actually doing alright (Marsha and Darrell both ROCK at classroom management.) It is very easy to become more of a "buddy" and less of a teacher, especially when you have awesome 7th and 8th graders who are so funny!!!! I believe the key is respect. If you show the students that you truly care about what happens to them, and show them respect while expecting it in return...you can build great relationships with students while still holding a position of authority. I try to make my expectations very clear and be quick and consistent with consequences when the expectations are not met...and it's all good =) Did I mention they are HILARIOUS!!! The things 7th and 8th graders say and do are great. I have lunchroom duty 3 days a week so I get too see them on their own turf. Just sitting back and watching them interact with each other has to be one of the highlights of my day. I have no idea where they get all of that energy...no wait...I take that back. I think it is from those "Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars" they all eat.

Well, I was planning on writing a lot more about this week, but my oven just beeped at me telling me my pizza is ready. No reindeer on this one...just pepperoni. I have to go and cut it with a hunting knife, because I realized after I put it in the oven I do not own a pizza cutter OR scissors.

Speaking of exotic foods, I had Swamp Donkey for lunch today!! It was fantastic. The beast is real and quite edible. Also, I changed my mind about shooting a bear while I am here in Alaska. My original goal was after I had proof that they actually do exist, I was going to shoot a bear and eat it! I was talking to a few people at lunch today (over my pipping hot plate of Swamp Donkey) and they said that bears make a pathetic crying sound when they are shot. I thought to my self, I could never shoot something that starts crying afterwards. I have decided that I will stick to my back-up plan and just wrestle a bear or two with my "Bear Fighting Suit" I am building. The suit consists of chain mail armor covered with hockey pads. That should put us on a level playing field. We'll see who is crying after we are done!

Ok, my pizza awaits. Have a great evening and I will post again soon!

Rock on
~Mr. Lockwood

No comments: